Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dark Night of the Soul, Issue 5

As I tossed and turned in my bed, my brain couldn’t shake the image of her piercing blue eyes. The scent of her perfume still fresh in my memory and the sight of her stark white teeth framed by her bright red lips was keeping me awake. What was it about her that gripped me so damned hard? I had never fallen so hard for some dame I had just met, and now this woman was invading my every thought.

It was time for another scotch. Or three.

I awoke the next morning without thoughts of the intoxicating beauty at the forefront of my every thought. I knew I had a long night headed towards me, so I took my time headed to my office. I fried a couple of eggs and chased them down with – what else? – a scotch.

As I left my rundown apartment building I stopped to get a paper from the boy at the corner. His dirty hands extended to take the nickel he was owed. I read the morning’s headline. “Mayor’s Son Missing.” Upon reading further a startling conclusion hit me like a prizefighter.

That blonde was going to be more trouble than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment