Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ugh. Pop Music.

Give me the Beatles over the Black Eyed Peas. Kansas over Kanye. Just about anyone over Taylor Swift.
I should just go ahead and admit it I guess. I’m getting old. (“Get off my lawn!”) I can tell this because I can no longer relate to any new music. Really Katy Perry? Singing about “California Girls”? Who cares? I just don’t get it. I know, I know. I’m a bit of a music snob and I always have been, but it just seems like it’s getting ridiculous. When I listen to the local top 40 radio station here in town, (very rare – only when the classic rock station won’t come in on our work receiver) I get bombarded by garbage; and not the good Garbage with Shirley Manson.
Since when does a sixteen year old have anything in his life worth writing or singing about? Get out and live. Come back when you have some real world experience, Justin Beiber. If you don’t have a driver’s license, you should not have a recording contract. No ifs ands or buts. Why do people like this kid? Sure he can sing high-pitched, but I can too and I’m not a millionaire friend of Usher’s. Oh. There it is. He’s a friend of Usher’s. Problem solved.
I miss the music where you actually had to be creative to be successful. There was a time in the 60s and 70s that you had to have talent to be a star. Can you believe that? Listening to the radio now, I cannot. I miss the soaring guitar solos that indicated years of honing and refining a talent. That means sacrifice. What did David Gilmour have to sacrifice to become as good as he is? More than what Eminem has sacrified learning to rhyme, I assure you of that. The rhythms now are all created by synthesizers by people who have never played an instrument and not someone who has lived behind a set of drums perfecting their craft.
I long for something that means something to be popular. The best new song I’ve heard lately is “Life Won’t Wait” by Ozzy Osbourne. I’ve never been and Ozzy fan, but this song is so filling that it will stick to your ribs. There is some really substance to the subject matter. “The Best is Yet to Come” by The Scorpions is another good newer song. Interestingly enough, both of these acts are older. Yes, they’re enjoying success today, but if it wasn’t for the success they enjoyed over the last 30 to 40 years, they wouldn’t be doing what they’re doing. Do you really think that Three Dog Night would get a recording contract today? No. Way.
I’m tired of hearing some urban ass-clown talking about having sex with girls. I bristle up when I hear that nonsense and that is what’s popular! Sure, Foreigner and Bad Company and their ilk are certainly guilty of talking about sex. Most musical acts in history are, unless we’re talking about the Gaithers. Older bands just seemed to do it more tactfully, or at least more politely. It was “I feel like makin’ love” instead “I’ll take you to my house and bend you over.” See the difference?
For now, I’m going to stick to the tried and true. I will listen to “Blue Collar Man” by Styx or “Limelight” by RUSH instead of “Put a Ring on It” by Beyonce or “Take it Off” by Ke$ha. I feel something in my soul when I hear the opening chorus of Queen’sSomebody to Love”. I think that the music industry really needs to have their heads collectively removed from their…well, you know. Right the ship. Get rid of 3 Doors Down and play more .38 Special.
Again, I know I’m old and have old taste, I get it. Please don’t rub it in. I’m getting grey hair in my sideburns too. I just want to know that when I turn the radio on that something that took sweat and tears is going to play instead of some overproduced studio junk by a 9 year old that has absolutely nothing to say or any talent with which to say it. 

1 comment:

  1. It makes me happy that you referenced AND hotlinked David Gilmour! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete