Thursday, November 25, 2010

Scouting Ahead

          The Boyscouts of America is an organization that I fully support. I truly believe that everything they teach prepares young men for the world outside of their parent’s homes. Not only that, I feel like it helps us get more in touch with our roots and helps get our heads out of the suburbs.
          From Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout I was a member. I learned a ton and made relationships with people that will last a lifetime. I’ve done merit badge weekends, community service Eagle projects, below zero campouts, and summer camps. I earned merit badges from shotgun and rifle, to orienteering and swimming and everything in between. The BSA is a strong organization and I don’t regret a second that I was a member and I plan on guiding both of my boys through their ranks as well.
          The Boyscouts taught me to Be Prepared. The taught me to be Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent. (I didn’t even have to look that up.) These are the pillars of being a good scout and a good human being. I have never met someone that I thought was too trustworthy. You? I didn’t think so. These are traits that our young men desperately need to have so that they can grow to mold our country’s future; not to mention the various skills that you learn and come in handy. I think a lot of my jack-of-all-trades mentality is due to scouts. I know a little bit about a lot of things – a good majority I learned from being involved with this organization.
          The Boyscouts is also a place to be around positive male role models. It’s a time to be around adults and learn the respect that goes along with that. It’s a time for fathers and sons to bond while fishing or while building a lean-to shelter in the middle of the forest. Mothers definitely have their place too though. Without all of the dedicated mothers there would be drastically fewer Eagle Scouts and the boys who would make it, would most definitely not have pressed shirts and their patches sewn on. Mothers do more than that though. Throughout my experience in Cubscouts, it was predominantly the mothers who were leading and teaching.
          I had an immensely positive experience growing up in scouting and I am so very proud to have hit Eagle Scout. Less than 3% of boys who start Boyscouts (around age 10) ever make it to see Eagle Scout. It’s a big honor, and it’s one I am glad to share with some great men throughout history, great men who I went through scouts with, and even a great man that I shared a room with until I was 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment